Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Monday, 10/18/10 – Level 6 Day 17 (Poissonnier)

In preparation for our final exam (I'm not even going to go there right now….), chef offered to host some last-minute study sessions for each of the stations, going over how much of each recipe we should prepare and what would likely already be done for us. He said it would start a half-hour before class, so all day at work I was speeding with the goal of leaving early to get to this essential study session. As always, I was running a little behind, so once I walked out the front door of work I bee-lined it to the nearest avenue, convincing myself that if I saw a taxi, I would take it, but if there wasn't a taxi readily available I would just take the subway and potentially be a few minutes late. Sure enough, there was no taxi (a sign from God that I need to save money), so I power-walked to the subway and hopped on a train. Sure, it's only one stop, but on the arriving end I have to walk a good three avenues and two blocks, so I was still concerned with my timing. I practically jumped off the train while it was still moving, ran up the stairs and continued my Olympic power walk through the tourist-infected streets of Chinatown, dodging strollers, ducking under gawkers and long-jumping over panhandlers. I got to school at 5:10pm, and ran up the stairs, throwing on my uniform faster than Superman. By the time I reached the main kitchen, though, something didn't look right. It was empty….one minute after the demo was supposed to start. I set my things down and frantically asked another chef where my chef was. "I think he's in the walk-in refrigerator…" Great…I'm the only one who showed up for the study session…extra points for me!! I tore open the door of the walk-in, and there stood chef, stunned into silence. "Chef, are we still having the demo? I can't seem to find anyone!" (Nice job passively pointing out that you're the only one on time, yet acting like you cared enough to look for others) "Jacques-leen, ze demo starts in feef-teen minutes. Relax." So it seems I pushed that street artist into oncoming traffic for no reason – I was early!

The study session turned out to be incredibly helpful, and I'm starting to feel a smidgen better about the impending final exam. I just can't believe I'm almost done with culinary school, and soon I'll be sitting at home with my husband watching "Gossip Girl" and "16 and Pregnant" on Monday and Wednesday nights, and might resume some form of a social life on Friday nights. It's unbelievable how adapted I've become over the last ten months to a schedule of working five days plus three nights a week. It was tough at first, but now it seems almost regular and expected. I'll be celebrating my freedom, that's for sure, by going to bed at 10pm every night and actually waking up on time the next morning. It's the small things in life, but no one ever said I can't still wear my chef's jacket at home.


Salmon with Port Wine Sauce, Fennel and Mascarpone Salad and Sweet Potato Puree


John Dory with a Sea Urchin/Cuttlefish Caviar Sauce, Spicy Pickled Cherry Tomatoes, Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Baby Fennel

No comments:

Post a Comment