Sunday, March 21, 2010

Friday, 3/19/10 – Frozen Desserts & Meringues


I’m very much enjoying this whole pastry section of Level 2. Not because it’s fun (it’s not) or easy (it’s not), I am just greatly reaping the fruits of my labor. Instead of trucking home gelatinous containers of leftover lamb stew with wilting carrots and cold pearl onions, I’m able to bring home entire tarts, full cakes and individual flans – enough to host a decent cocktail party. (Again with the cocktail party fantasy segments??)

We used our hand-made puff pastry as the base of a fruit bande de tarte, which is a delicious little pizza of vanilla pastry cream and assorted fresh fruits. I chose to channel the incoming spring flowers with the below motif.





This tart is approximately 18”x8”, so it will definitely be included in my rounds later this evening as I attempt to pawn off some of these desserts to our poor, unsuspecting neighbors.

As fate would have it, every single one of the school’s ice cream machines was broken on Friday, which happened to be our designated ice cream-making lesson. Disappointing, yet I’m wondering if it was all a ploy to distract us away from the fact that they don’t even own any ice cream machines! Regardless, we still made the base for vanilla ice cream, the versatile crème anglaise (which topped last week’s apple fritters) and also prepared the Grapefruit sorbet. Hopefully the machines will be up-and-running on Monday so that we can all fall into a painless sugar coma, starting the week off right. I would actually prefer, instead of having to wait for the sugar to enter my mouth, be chewed and then be absorbed by my body, if I just hooked a line up to my arm with a constant drip of confectioner’s sugar and butter. That way I don’t have to wake up on Saturday mornings anymore feeling like I got hit by a bus and am simultaneously coming down from a 5-day bender. “Steven, wake up and refill my bag, da*nit!!!” or “Bring an extra bag, it’s going to be a long ride.” They hand out free drug needles on the street anyways, and I could get a Costco membership so I can buy my sugar and butter in bulk. We could even sell all of Steve’s clothes so that I could store my supplies in his closet. I wouldn’t be able to take my IV pole on the subway, though, unless I only traveled through the stations with elevators. Easy. It’s starting to look like a possibility…this pleases me.

One of the desserts we did get to enjoy on Friday was the light, airy and crunchy Meringue Chantilly, which consists of a Swiss meringue baked into dry, brittle cookies (either in spirals or rectangles) and filled with a delicious Chantilly cream. It’s similar to an ice cream sandwich, only it awkwardly squirts out and sprays everywhere the minute you take a bite, which could prove to be disastrous for a first date, or any date on which you’re wearing a nice, new outfit and want to not look like a 4-year old.

Our final dish was a frozen fruit soufflé. Well, it looked like a baked soufflé, expanding an inch above its mold like it magically rose in the freezer, yet it is not baked and it actually piped into the mold with a guard above the top, so that you can pipe the mix above the edge of the mold. Confusing, I know, but I’ve never been one with words; my apologies. We actually had to leave it in the freezer over the weekend to freeze solid, so we didn’t have the pleasure of enjoying it. I almost flipped a table when I found this out….see, this would not have happened if I had my intravenous sugar/butter drip installed!

Ever since my short introduction to the beauty of the crepe, I’ve been really into www.world-of-crepes.com. They’ve compiled every crepe recipe you could ever imagine! Try one out this week/weekend and send me pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment