Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Monday, 4/19/10 – Level 3 Day 2 (Pastry)

Monday was my second and last day in pastry before moving on to the next section of the kitchen. We finally got to meet our real live Level 3 Chef, who made it clear to us that he'd be "tightening the belt" very soon. He was much more understanding, though, and had many positive and encouraging remarks for our delicious desserts. Since learning my lesson last week and starving to death in the 3rd floor stairwell, I packed a snack and had the energy to make it through the frantic evening. I miss having family meal and the opportunity to take a 30-minute break to chat with my classmates. Real world schmeal world.

We made a delicious lemon tart in a shortbread crust and topped it with sugared raspberries – YUM! It was definitely bartering gold with my classmates, and I got a delicious piece of grilled salmon and half of a seared pork chop for one of those little lemon goodies. The crust was beautifully browned and the custard was just right – perfection. We used the cutest little tart molds (Miss Ginger probably has a million) which made the perfect dessert size that would probably cost $18 in a fancy restaurant. If only…

We also made the classic dessert Pots de Crème, a baked vanilla custard much like Crème Brulee without the caramel crust. We baked them in little ceramic ramekins and served them with a single chocolate cigarette. The chocolate was a last-minute addition from Chef, and starts with a batter that is very similar in taste/consistency to brownie batter. It is spread into shallow round molds, baked for a few minutes and rolled over a pencil while still warm. While there are many things about pastry and I that don't mix (get it? Mix?), my main issue with the desserts are that their ingredients are always very messy. Whether it's icing, flour, egg yolks or chocolate, I always always find a way to ruin a perfectly dry-cleaned uniform or smear something messy across my face. Case in point: I spilled a small amount of cocoa powder on my apron, and after 5 minutes of shaking and rubbing I had a massive brown spot the size of my head down the front of me. Thank goodness I didn't SIT in cocoa powder…awkward! The very nice lady at Sun Cleaners & Laundry probably judges me and my messy piles, but I'm sure she's seen some interesting stuff.

I'm finding that school is starting to take a toll on the health of my sleep schedule (big surprise). I usually have the opportunity to blabber about school gossip and rattle off the night's activities to my adoring husband when I get home late at night, way past his bedtime. Understandably so, since he gets up very early in the morning, he had already fallen asleep by the time I got home Monday night. I tried talking to the cat, who just got confused and thought she was being fed, so I pried her off my bare leg and went to bed with many things unsaid. I had a terribly hard time falling asleep, and kept tossing and turning with visions of fruit tarts and serrated knives dancing through my head. I finally fell sleep after a while, but I'm luckily I didn't have to be anywhere in the morning. I'm just nervous for the next chicken recipe I make…that'll be an interesting night.

1 comment:

  1. You do have an adoring husband, don't you? I am in love with my tart pans and can you belive it...I just make 30 tarts - 10 with lemon curd and 15 that had raspberry lining the shells and then filled with chocolate and topped with fresh raspberries! Since I'm trying to be good I gave them all away - but it was fun to make them. Miss you and I love hearing all about what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete