Monday, April 12, 2010

Special Celebration: 6-Month Anniversary

Life is full of celebrations, small moments that give you the joy of reminiscing, allow you to do something sweet and make new memories. I know it’s hard to believe, but the ‘ole Mister and I were married just six months ago, as of Saturday! We’re always looking for things to celebrate, whether it is a sunny day, a new pot or something really special, like a milestone in our marriage, so we decided that Saturday was going to be a day to remember. In lieu of spending ridiculous money on a fancy schmancy restaurant, we visited the local gourmet grocery store, Eli’s, and picked up a few ingredients that we would normally not buy.

You never lose with surf n’ turf, so we bought a huge 2.5 lb fresh lobster. If you remember, I had some issues killing the lobster in class a few weeks ago, so I decided to man-up and just get it done. I tried to not hold him too close to my body on the walk home, lest our hearts desire a deeper connection. I placed him on the kitchen table in his tight plastic bag, only to find him 3 minutes later with both arms draped over the side, looking down at the wood floor below contemplating suicide. I decided the moment had come, so I took him out of his bag and looked him one last time in the eyes. They were nostalgic, no doubt reviewing his short yet fruitful life as a 2.5 lb. lobster in captivity, yet I also saw a hint of regret – perhaps he needed to do some silent healing before the moment of truth. I respected his privacy, and a minute later drove a knife through his brain, quickly and with the force of generations of lobster eaters that came before me.

Respectfully closing the eyes of the corpse

Our ‘turf’ was two grass-fed filet mignons, and we also picked up a few jumbo prawns for shrimp cocktail and gourmet kalamata olive tapenade for fresh French bread. The end result, an amazingly delicious gourmet meal, is below.

Lobster and Asian Pear Salad

Filet Mignon on a bed of portobello mushrooms, topped with a Tarragon Compound Butter
Twice-Baked Cheddar & Chive Potato

Strawberry Chocolate Mousselette


Although the night was overshadowed by the remnants of innocent blood on my hands, all was forgotten after the first bite. I wonder what our next excuse for a celebration will be...

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful and really brave of you. How many meals can we create while you are here in May? I have a feeling it will be a non-stop eat-a-thon. Whoo Hoo and congratulations to 6 months of wedded bliss.

    ReplyDelete