Wednesday, January 13, 2010

January 11th, 2010: Day 3 - Stocks


Imagine this:

Me, apron pulled up to my chest, feet shoulder-width apart with a 5-lb cleaver in my hand. I am chopping, letting the cleaver fall with a grim ‘thud’ as parts of flesh and blood spray out simultaneously in front of me. All of a sudden, I begin to chop ferociously and much faster, my eyes become bloodshot and I let out a single cackle to the full moon. Pieces of vein and muscle are dripping down as they hit my face, my hands are trembling with adrenaline and I’m staring what used to be an attached fish head in the eyes as I scream “DIE!!!!” Chef-Instructor Phil slowly approaches from behind, grabs the knife on my backswing and tackles me from the waist, careful not to look me directly in the eyes…

Ok, so that might not be EXACTLY how it happened, but Day 3 was stock day! The veal and beef bones arrived in neatly packed frozen boxes, ready for us to brew up some delicious
fond de veau brun and marmite. As you can assume, we were responsible for cutting our own fish carcasses, and were given stacks and stacks of chicken bones and meat to simmer as much as our little hearts would desire! At the end of the day, the marmite and fond de veau brun were in the 50-liter stock pot, where they would rest overnight, and the chicken stock, vegetable stock and fumet (fish stock) were perfectly brewed and strained. My station mate's hand towel also had a large dusty burn hole smack-dab in the middle, but hey, fires schmires.

Stock is the basis for French cooking. With it, you can create the classic delicious sauces, soups, glazes and the classic derivatives, among many others. We’ll be using the stocks we’ve created to make six different sauces in the next class, and the class after that we’ll be venturing into soups! Now we’re getting practical…

While things might seem a little mundane now, and you might be saying “But Jackie, you can buy a can of chicken stock at the store,” or you might be thinking “Wow, this girl is afraid of cutting turnips??” it’s important to note that we’ve really started from the beginning here. A good cook must have the basics down perfectly. Although I don’t plan to go into the restaurant business, like most of my classmates, knowing how to make a stock from scratch and reduce it into a perfect
sauce espagnole is one of those things that will distinguish me in the future, and make me an amazing French cook! (Let’s hope.) I also know for a fact that things will be getting tres interessante (that may or may not be Spanish) because I’m currently reading a memoir by a former FCI graduate titled “Under the Table.” Although she’s incredibly pretentious and negative, I would have burned the book a long time ago if she didn’t walk her readers through the exact program in which I am currently enrolled! Her writing style aside, it’s fascinating to be reading this book, which serves as a sort of crystal ball into my future. Her experience was apparently not the best. But I love every minute of it, and I’m here to stay!

RANDOM RECIPE OF THE DAY
*This is one of Steve’s favorite meals, but he only gets it on special occasions (or when I’m bored). It’s originally Rachael Ray's, but I’ve tinkered with it to suit our tastes and budget.

INDIVIDUAL CHIPOTLE MEAT LOAVES
Serves 2 (+ a lucky someone's lunch the following day)
You will need:
-3/4 lb. lean ground beef
-1 cup crushed tortilla chips
-1/3 cup milk
-1/3 cup grated Parmesan
-1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
-1/4 cup green onions, chopped
-1 egg

Glaze:
-1/4 cup ketchup
-2 tbsp honey
-1 small can Adobo peppers (you will only use the sauce)
-1 tbsp lime juice

Preheat oven to 500˚.

Combine chips, milk, cheese, cilantro, onion and egg. Add ground beef, tossing with hands. Shape into small, tight oval loaves (approximately 6).

Mix glaze ingredients in a bowl and set aside.

In a skillet, sear loaves in olive oil, approximately 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to greased cookie sheet and brush with glaze. Roast in the broiler for about 12 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 155˚.

Serve with roasted tomatoes, baked or mashed potatoes and green beans tossed with olive oil, lemon juice and salt.


Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. I love it! You are so correct, dear Jackie, that one must have the basics down in order to move forward. Oh, the anticipation of future home-cooked meals in NYC. Looking forward to hearing more. XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie, that recipe sounds amazing. I might just have to try it!

    - Chapa

    ReplyDelete