Thursday, January 28, 2010

Wednesday 1/27/10 – Tournage

Class was boring. I apologize, but I have nothing to say.

Pish posh, I always have something to say! Tournage, tournage, tournage. I just really don’t know how to describe it. In french it literally means “to turn”, and the results of tournage are vegetables cut into 7-sided footballs of varying lengths, from 2-9 centimeters…so maybe I DO know how to describe it. Regardless, they’re pains in the butts, and a classic example of how detailed and meticulous les French are. We spent hours cutting potatoes, turnips and carrots into perfect shapes, then cooked each in different ways for a final plate.

The big news is that we switched station partners! It was a huge shock, really turned our little worlds upside down. D and I had gotten into a routine and were working well together…perhaps that’s why chef decided to scramble everyone! I was moved to the station at the front of the class and will now be working with Chad. He’s really nice (and I’m not just saying that because he washed my tools…..) and I think I’ll definitely learn a lot from him (I’m saying that because he washed my tools). Chad made us look smart when he suggested I preheat our oven to get it started, and 10 minutes later when chef asked who had preheated their ovens we were the only team…thanks Chad!

I started at the bank today. Back to the ‘ole grind, ridin’ the rails, burning’ the candle at both ends. It was a typical first day, but I am amazed at how different this opportunity will be from a previous job. Back then, I was a miserable shell of a human soul, trying to find a way off of that sinking ship. In this office, with these kind, professional people, I can see myself having enough motivation for a job well done, yet when the clock strikes I’m heading home (or to class). No more late nights, unpaid overtime and unrecognized talent! The best part is that the project is over at the end of March, so I don’t have to worry about long-term – it’ll be over before I know it!

Being down on Wall Street, I couldn’t help but think of a story my friend Rachel told me. She once passed a homeless man on the street who was carrying an invisible briefcase and was holding his hand up to his head like a make-shift cell phone, screaming, “I said sell!! BUY BUY BUY!” I want my money with whatever investment firm he thought he worked for.

RANDOM TIP OF THE DAY

Making your own butter is easy! Ok, pull your jaw off the floor and grab a carton of heavy cream.

You will need a stand mixer, unless you want your arm to fall off. Pour the heavy cream in the mixing bowl, and whisk at medium-high. After about 20 minutes the cream will turn into beautiful thick foam. (This can be sugared and used to top your favorite dessert!) Let it continue at medium-high for another 15 minutes or so, and it will suddenly turn into a pale yellow solid stuck to your whisk (this is your butter) and a thick milk in the bottom (this is buttermilk…save to make amazing Saturday morning buttermilk pancakes a la Lindsey.) Squeeze your solid butter in a paper towel to release the remaining liquid. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator (length TBD, I’ll keep you posted!)

To summarize: Pour cream, turn on mixer, relax on couch, eat butter.


2 comments:

  1. I never knew how to make butter - heading to my mixer now. PS - LOVE the hat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember making butter in elementary school. Then we got some crackers and ate it. Delicious!-MOM

    ReplyDelete